Sunday, June 3, 2007

Exploring My Creative Side


My friend Gayle talked me into taking a pottery class. Now for those of you that know me (and as I am sure JM would tell you) I have issues with manual tasks and fine motor skills. So it was quite amusing to try to use a pottery wheel. Every class I ended up covered with clay from head to toe and somehow ended up getting my finger caught in the piece I was throwing - completely ruining it. I definitely enjoyed the opportunity to hang out with my friend Gayle, but the class helped to confirm that I do not have any hidden talents as a potter. Gayle, however, is a natural and will be taking the class again. I have attached a copy of some of the pieces I made for your amusement.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shea is so humble. She does have talent for making very unique, one-of-a-kind pieces. Just ask the instructor...

We had a great time in the class and I am taking it again for the fun of it. I am so glad that Shea agreed to humor me and take the class with me--we got to spend some fun time together.

Anonymous said...

I also must add that she did not show all her pieces in this picture. Ask her about her coiled clay piece.

What more fun can you have up to your elbows in mud? I know of none.

Shea said...

I still haven't gotten my coiled piece - next time you are out there, see if Will will give it to you.

Anonymous said...

Hey,

Your coiled piece has not had its final fire yet. I will pick it up when it has. Classes started tonight. It was not like riding a bike--centering is still a challenge.
I felt the pressure and posted an image of my first pots on my blog.
http://www.rustixs.com/blog/

Wade asked about you. He misses his star student. :)

Shea said...

Your stuff looks really good! I am sure that Wade doesn't miss the headache of a student that I was.

Stephanie said...

Shea,
You underestimate yourself. Everything looks beautiful!

Shea said...

Thanks, Steph! You should see the ones that didn't make it out of the studio...

Susan said...

Wow Shea! I'm so impressed! These look great. You have definitely underestimated yourself!!

Mary Frances said...

Much better than expected!!! To hear you talk, I expected deformed lumps of clay...these actually look like pottery. Great job Shea-there is a hidden artist in there somewhere.