Wednesday, September 26, 2007

28 Weeks

JM and I went to the doctor for my 28 week check up Monday morning. I had to take my sugar test and was dreading it - especially since they told me I couldn't have any food after midnight the previous evening. That was really the worst part of the whole test for me. By the time I got up Monday morning, I was starving, which made me feel nauseous when I couldn't eat.
When I got to the office, I had to drink this drink that was almost pure sugar. I picked the fruit punch variety. Everyone had told me how nasty it was and that they all almost gagged while drinking it. Fortunately, I like drinks that are almost pure sugar (must be from the Nehi's I had growing up over at my Granny's cause you know Shirley doesn't allow that kind of stuff in her house!) I was drinking it so fast that the nurse finally told me to slow down!
So then we had to wait an hour before they could do the actual test. I saw Dr. Barron and she said that Judah is measuring two weeks ahead of schedule. I don't really know what that means other than I am gaining weight fast at this point. We go back in two weeks for an another ultrasound to see if my low-lying placenta has moved up at all. I am just excited because it is another free look at Judah and maybe he won't look so much like an alien at this point.
So here's the kicker for the day. JM has been the most attentive soon to be daddy, going to all of my appointments and helping me remember questions I want to ask, etc. I went to the lab to get my finger pricked for my sugar test and in the midst of everything that was going on forgot one little oddity about my sweet husband. When we were engaged, he used to watch all these surgery shows where doctors would cut people's heads open because he thought they were interesting. Blood and gore, no problem. But when it comes to drawing blood etc., watch out!
The nurse was getting ready to do my finger prick and I look over at JM and he has on his ipod, and I didn't think anything about it. I look over again and he is slumped down in the chair with his head between his knees. Now mind you, we are not the only people in the lab and at this point everyone is starting to look a little concerned. So, he has to leave and we have to wait in the waiting room for him to recover.
I say this for two reasons: 1) just to tease JM a little bit, but then seriously, 2) to make sure that Julie has her bag packed. If he falls out in the delivery room, I am going to need some back up!

4 comments:

Mary Frances said...

I can't quit laughing. I needed that today...thanks!!!

Julie A. said...

I was already planning to pack a bag. I've also told my boss that I will be leaving work or not coming in when you have Judah. So no worries, you'll have backup!

Thanks for the laugh!

Anonymous said...

Hey! Go easy on us sensitive, caring Patrick males!

Phil and Jennifer said...

I'm so glad you posted on my blog with a link to yours! I'll love watching you guys become parents. It has been the most wonderful transformation in my life and I love going through it with others. I'm looking forward to meeting little Judah! What a blessing.
Jennifer